Saturday, October 08, 2005

Saying Goodbye to Sandy

I forgot to mention, along with my other travels, going to Sturbridge to the funeral of Sandy Smith, wife of John. John is the brother of Lee, Roxanne, Linda, and Jenivee.

Sandy died during the second week of September after a long, ten year struggle with breast cancer. I was glad to have met Sandy and to have gotten to know her, even if it was only briefly.

When I first met Sandy it was at her husband John's birthday party. She and John and their two teenaged daughters, live in Sturbridge, MA. I don't remember how old John was that day but the party was held at Sandy's mom's house. I remember Sandy as being an upbeat, friendly person with a ready smile and an optimistic outlook. It was hard to believe that she was in constant pain, had little energy and had to lie down every so often due to the cancer ravaging her body. She had long lost all her hair but seemed to have been reconciled to it.

Sandy was easy to get to know and she was the kind of person that you immediately felt relaxed around. As was noted by her pastor at the funeral service, which was attended by around 300 people, she made everyone feel like they were her best friend. Sandy was a genuinely nice person, easy to like and liked by all.

At her husband's birthday party I didn't realize that when I said goodbye to her that day that it would be the last time I'd ever see her. And, in that respect, I certainly didn't think that by saying goodbye I really meant Goodbye.

I'd like to think that through her death people came to appreciate their own life and learned to live each day like it's their last. Sandy lived life and lived each day fully. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to have met her.

I think that rather than saying goodbye to Sandy, I'd rather say - Sandy, it was nice to know you; I'll see you around again sometime.

2 Comments:

Blogger Silver Streak said...

Poignant. Nice story. I'll bet she read it over your shoulder, and was pleased.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Frank you said it Saying Goodbye to Sandy now that rings true. I swear by my homes ceiling fans, talk about sweet cool fresh air beats air conditioning any day!
I found some good deals through Ceiling Fan Part and other resource sites. Anyway if people need Ceiling Fan Part related stuff they should check it out.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home