Saturday, June 10, 2006

Back To Work

I went back to work this past Monday, a week earlier than expected. Since I felt well, was able to drive and also able to stay awake all day, I decided I could return to work. It turned out to not be a bad decision and my supervisor arranged for me to be able to work half days all week. I was tired, though, by the end of that half day and glad to get home to take a nap.

When I arrived at work on Monday morning I was welcomed by a present from the folks in my area. On my desk was a jar filled with over 4 pounds of M & M’s and five more 14 oz. bags surrounding it. By Thursday the jar was half empty, or half full depending on how you look at it. Nevertheless, about two pounds of M’s were gone. I can’t imagine what happened to them. It seemed like every time I looked up my hand was in the jar.

When I left work on Monday I went home and slept for two hours. I also had no problem sleeping each night. On Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons I slept for 45 min. and for the rest of the week my siestas were only for 30 min. I believe that starting next Monday I should be able to last all day.

I guess if there is a problem it’s that now that I’m back in my own place, having recovered sufficiently to be back on my own, Dixie’s decided that her morning walk should begin a little after 5 a.m. instead of 6 a.m., or even later. Finally, today, Saturday, I was able to hold her off until 6:15 a.m. before we ventured out for our morning stroll.

This morning, as we have been for the past week, Dixie and I walked down along the Charles River. Since it’s been raining all week, actually pretty much since the beginning of May, it now being June 10, the river was up pretty high. Today it was at the top of its banks. It had rained pretty much all night last night, stopping some time early this morning. It starting raining again just at the end of our walk. I guess the rain gods wanted to make sure Dixie got her walk in and was also able to chase a squirrel and two ducks and walk up to her hackles in the river.

As for me, I strained ligaments in my right ankle the other day and so am hobbling around. I took Ibruprophen and iced the ankle down the past two days; the weather being such that it brings out all the aches and pains in one’s body. Oddly, I have no pain associated with the surgery.

Last night Julie and I, after going out to dinner with three of her kids and then stopping at Best Buy so I could purchase a new microwave (the one I bought at a yard sale for $5.00 over five years ago finally died), went down to the Relay for Life walk. It was held at Victory field at the end of her street. We walked around and talked to a few folks about cancer and entered into a raffle for Red Sox vs. Orioles tickets.

Although I had been thinking about this before, while we were walking around the track with the relay walkers, I started to come to grips with being a cancer survivor myself. I had cancer and now, given that the cancer was confined to the prostate, which I don’t have anymore, I no longer have cancer. And, if after 4 years and 11 months more, I still don’t have cancer, then I can say I’m cured. Of course by then I’ll probably have something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home