Friday, August 28, 2009

Getting Cleansed

I remember a line in an old Limelighter's song - "clean mind, clean body, take your pick."

I chose my body.

Last month Judy and I went thru a 21 day cleanse and detoxification program to rid ourselves of toxins, lose weight and become generally healthier. We used the program, as prescribed by her chiropractor, from a company called Standard Process. The company has been in business since the 1920's; the chiropractor's young enough to be our son.

For three weeks we drank shakes, ate a ton of cleanse, fiber & vegetable pills and consumed a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. We tried to go organic but that's easier said than done.

After the first seven days my system was completely cleaned out; at program's end, I had a fruit tree sprouting from my head and veggies growing out of my body. I almost never wanted to see another vegetable again - but that passed quickly, like the gas that emanated from bottom's end. At one point early in the cleanse I was afraid to go near an open flame.

I lost 12 pounds. In 21 days.

In addition, I was able to cut out eating sugar, which eliminated my having the spikes and lows I'd always experienced. My routine had always been to have 2 mugs of completely adulterated coffee in the morning (adding half & half and a full, rounded teaspoon of sugar in each one). Then around 1:30 in the afternoon I'd get sleepy and need to go get a bag of M&M's (or Cadbury bar or something else full of sugar like tootsie rolls, cookies, cake, more coffee, soda).

Each morning during the cleanse breakfast was a shake comprised of fresh fruit and protein powder blended in a blender (I would also add 100% dark blue juice, no sugar added) and a bunch of cleanse & fiber pills. I'd also limit myself to having one cup of black coffee.

Lunch would be a shake comprised of fresh fruit and protein powder (& dark blue juice) blended in a blender, eat a bunch of pills and raw vegetables.

For supper I would drink a shake comprised of frest fruit and protein powder (& dbj) blended in a blender, eat a bunch of pills and steamed or sauteed vegetables.

Oh, yeah, and each day we had to drink at least 64 ounces (2 quarts) of water.

For a snack I would use my imagination.

On day one of the cleanse I had my first cup of black coffee. It did not sit well in my stomach. Starting with the second day I drank the coffee after the shake; it worked much better.

Now, a month after the cleanse, I am still only drinking one mug of black coffee with breakfast and my energy is pretty much level throughout the day.

Every couple of days Judy and I would help to reinforce each other to stick with the program.

We began to have conversations about our body's bodily functions.

We fantasized about what we'd eat after the cleanse was over.

We plugged away, some days easier to get through than others.

It wasn't a competition between us but we tried not to cheat. I will have to say, however, that I stuck much more closely to the program, although I don't think it changed the results any for either of us. We both achieved our goal.

We lost weight, cleansed our bodies of toxins and changed our eating habits. Another side benefit for me was not eating the same size portions of food as before. Plus, I no longer eat snacks during the day. Combined, this is helping immensely for me to keep my weight down.

I like being lighter. My clothes fit looser, though I'm in the same size. My skin looks healthier, given my continuing to drink more than two quarts of water of day. My hair's getting longer, though that's unrelated to the cleanse. Maybe not, it could be falling out, I guess.

If I had to choose to do it again, would I? Sure. But I'd again pick cleaning my body; I like having a dirty mind.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would like have a good encounter getting a property you need to locate an professional who communicates on the same degree as you may. Many people will require more exposure to their representative during the process, and can find it annoying, should they be working with a extremely occupied broker. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Heukuk8ily[/url]

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home