Monday, August 20, 2007

Weekend Goes By In A Blur

Last Friday night was the first time back to dancing since getting this infernal sinus infection. I wasn't sure what was going to happen but all turned out well. I didn't feel too weak or out of breath and had some good partners to dance with. I danced with one woman who, at one point said, "I'm too old for this." I looked at her and figured her for about 35, forty tops. Afterwards, I said, "Ok, I'm intrigued. How old are you?" We bantered a bit, trading smiles and quips. Turns out she was 56. I was going to say to her I hope I look that good when I get to be that age - but I'm already past that. Getting old(er) is strange.

We went dancing a month or so ago at a new place, for us, and it was the first time in a while that I felt old. Most of the dancers were lindy hoppers and almost all were in their early 20's. I felt like I had the energy to keep up but. . . it wasn't pleasant to be in a room full of people who were interested in dancing with their own "kind," and seeing myself as an other than they. Maybe it was just my perception and state of mind at the time. However, a month or so later, I still feel the same way.

Saturday night we went to a four star restaurant for dinner. Having a gift certificate took some of the bite out of the wallet. I didn't think the food was all that great, even with a couple glasses of wine. The cheesecake dessert was good, though. I ordered the petit filet mignon and shoestring fries. Julie got the crabcake appetizer. We split the wicked barbeque shrimp appetizer. My filet was served on this big white dinner plate. Imagine a little piece of meat, all by itself, on this giant plate. I almost burst out laughing. The shoestring fries came in this paper cone supported by a wire frame. After pulling the fires out of the cone we had them all over the table. At one point I started to say that the next time coming here I'd order...but then amended that thought to say: Well, at least I can now say I've been to a Boston 4 star; bfd.

Sunday we went to the Boston Museum of Science and saw the IMAX film Grand Canyon. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but I can say that I've now seen parts of it that if I ever go in person I wouldn't see. Julie was kind of disappointed given that she'd been there and seen the beautiful sunsets and transformations of colors on the canyon walls, none of which were really represented in the film.

Now, Monday morning, it's back to work. In three weeks I'll be headed to Denver and its environs for a two week vacation. It'll be good to get away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home